National Poetry Month: Rules for Robins (4 of 30)

It's National Poetry Month. I will be posting a poem each day. No theme. I'm just going to follow the spark each day, wherever I might find it. It's bound to be messy. 


 Image via Wikimedia Commons: User mdf

Rules for Robins

Dear Orange-Breasted Robin, 
it's great to see you back.
I saw you bobbing in the yard,
searching for a snack. 

You know you're always welcome,
I look forward to your songs,
as the sun rises in the morning,
throughout summer days so long. 

I see you busily gather
some items for your nest.
I know your days are busy,
without much time to rest. 

However, I must insist 
on a few rules for your stay,
some ways of being neighborly,
to keep problems at bay. 

Please don't fly into windows
and give me such a fright, 
not only is this a bad for you,
it truly isn't right. 

Please build your home away from ours,
not in the sidewalk bush,
where you fly out unexpectedly,
in a frightened, hurried whoosh. 

Please do not use our car mirrors, 
as your favorite bathroom spot,
the mess you leave behind on cars
makes all the neighbors hot. 

If you find these rules to stringent,
if they're rules you'd like to nix,
please find a new location 
to build your house of sticks. 

© Cathy L. Mere, 2023










Comments

  1. Ha! Especially the rule about review mirror as potty spots!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer