National Poetry Month: A Peep's Plead (19 of 30)

It's National Poetry Month. I will be posting a poem each day. No theme. I'm just going to follow the spark each day, wherever I might find it. It's bound to be messy. 










A Peep's Plead

They've placed the peeps
    near the front of the store.
They're staring at you 
    as you walk in the door.

Their eyes look so sad
    as they beg and they plead,
"You came for some milk,
    but we're what you need."

"Look at us waiting here
    blue, yellow and pink,
we could be of good use
    if you just stop and think."

Poor peeps, I did think
    to myself walking by,
no new home for Easter,
    I let out a sigh.

The poor little chicks
    no basket that day,
no children to watch,
    no moments of play.

Instead here they sit
    hoping today it will be, 
the day they are chosen
    to come home with me. 

© Cathy L. Mere, 2023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer