National Poetry Month: A Call to Tomorrow (7 of 30)

It's National Poetry Month. I will be posting a poem each day. No theme. I'm just going to follow the spark each day, wherever I might find it. It's bound to be messy. 

It's Poetry Friday - and National Poetry Month - so I'm trying to jump back into pressing publish on this blog each day this month. Each Friday, I hope to join the Poetry Friday Community, where I've been lurking quite often as they're always inspiring. Make sure you stop by Reflections on the Teche where Margaret Simon is kindly hosting today.

Today's poem was inspired by Major Jackson from The Slowdown Show. Each day, Jackson shares a poem on the podcast after sharing a short essay. I enjoy listening to the way poetry pushes us to think about life and the complexities of living. In Jackson's essay on the poem Future Me by Lena Moses-Schmitt, he asserts, "Occasionally, writing poetry is also an offering to the future: poem as a container of time, whose language signifies the era in which it was written."

I haven't been able to get this idea out of my head so today I decided to try a poem about this idea. 


A Call to Tomorrow

If poetry speaks
to the future,
what do we need
it to say?

Should it speak
of hope,
to promises of
better tomorrows?

Should it speak
of truth,
and tell of lessons
we still haven't learned?

If poetry speaks
to the future,
which words 
should we select?

Shouldn't every word
be weighed,
carefully selected 
for veracity?

Shouldn't words stack,
singing songs
of triumph
over our past mistakes?

If poetry speaks
to the future,
what do we want
it to say?

© Cathy L. Mere, 2023


Comments

  1. Thought provoking, Cathy. I agree that our words should feature triumph and hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I love The Slowdown, too. Your poem about poetry (ars poetica?) speaking to the future inspires me to write something for my niece's upcoming bridal shower. We're putting together a time capsule for her and her (eventual) husband to open on their one-year anniversary. I will let my words "speak to the future."

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer