National Poetry Month: Make Art (with Jess Keating) 18 of 30

Do you get Jess Keating's EPIC Email?  If you don't, you should go right to her site right now and sign-up. I enjoy them. You should check out her site while you are there. Last week's email was a reminder not to apologize for your art. I think it was perfectly timed. I decided to take her letter and create a found poem with it - because art. Ha! As we round the second half of this month's commitment to write a poem each day, I'm guessing we can all use her message. Thanks, Jess, for the permission AND the inspiration AND the fun.



Make Art
found poem from Jess Keating's EPIC Email 4/16/21
all words belong to Jess


don't apologize for
taking up space.
share your work,
your voice,
what matters.

don't apologize for
getting it wrong,
imperfect art.
be human;
"perfect" isn't reality.

stop apologizing.
be seen,
heard.

don't apologize for
shitty art;
even if
it doesn't lead to 
better art,
progress.

nobody needs to 
validate
what you make.
it starts 
and ends 
with you.

prioritize your art,
your creative dreams,
your voice.

your art
shares 
the same heartbeat,
feel vulnerable,
share it
anyway.

show up.
take up space. 
own your limits.
make shitty art. 

(Thanks, Jess Keating, for great words to play with for this found poem.) 






It's National Poetry Month. This year, I selected "CHOOSE JOY" as my One Little Word Phrase. Since I'm on the lookout for JOY, it makes sense to share a poem each day this month about what I find. 



Comments

  1. I love this! It kind of reminds me of Ann LaMott's shitty first drafts in "Bird by Bird." And I definitely think I need to subscribe to this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed this today! And yes, I subscribed. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like this!!!! We are what we are and we should not apologize for it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer