National Poetry Month: Choose Joy 1 of 30


To theme or not to theme, that is always the question. Okay, maybe the first question is really whether to commit - and then the second is to theme or not to theme. Some years I prefer the free and easy write of what comes to me. That can be challenge enough. Across the years, I've tried a few themes but, I can't say they've been successful. 

This year, I decided to try the theme life again for National Poetry Month Challenge. It's been a year and when the calendar turned to 2021, I decided my word/phrase was going to be Choose Joy. It seemed like the perfect way to go into a year full of hope. As I've tried to decide if I should theme - or not theme - my "one little phrase" has whispered in my ear:  Choose Joy. 

So why not? 

Why not write a poem each day about something that brings JOY? 

So here we go...


Choose Joy 

When the wind
pushes against you and
the world seems to have
a mind of its own.
Seek Joy.

In your days,
though some hard,
mall moments awaiting 
unexpected.
Find Joy.

As you journey
life's hills and valleys
it hides,
waiting around corners.
Pursue Joy.

In time spent with
friends and family.
in little celebrations.
in the ordinary.
Choose Joy. 

Look up.
Lift your head.
Wait and watch.
It's right there.
JOY. 

© Cathy L. Mere, 2021 









Comments

  1. Hooray for all the joy! Have you seen Michelle H. Barnes' project? Pairs well with yours (pun intended.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an important reminder! I love this!!! Need to print it out and tape it to my computer! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choice of a theme! I struggled with finding a theme and went with 30 things that make me happy. So I'm right there with you, choosing joy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joy, what a wonderful word and you expressed it so well in this poem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer