Night Walk: Poem 17 of 30

National Poetry Month:  Poem 17 of 30

Maybe it's because today is my friend Connie's birthday.  Maybe it's because the sun is shining.  Maybe it's because I wish I were sitting by the beach.  Whatever the reason, I decided today was the day for an ocean poem.  


Night Walk
Sand wraps around my feet,
wet,
smooth, 
as my toes dig deeper,
water pulls the sandy earth
away from me.

I look out 
across the ocean,
the line of brown
turns to midnight blue,
darkness erases
the setting sun
turning the purples, oranges, reds,
a deep ebony.

Mighty waves 
crash upon the shore,
white foam spraying,
as the water
deserts the beach
to greet the moon.

As far as I can see
endless sky,
black.

Flashlights dance 
along the water's edge,
children run along the waves.

Stars shine,
gazing at the world below. 
Water returns to the ocean
uncovering miles of beach
exposing once buried treasures.

The water roars 
a night song.
I stand there
at the ocean's edge:
strong,
endless,
saying goodbye. 

Comments

  1. Love "as the water deserts the beach to greet the moon." Craving the beach...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer