Poetry Month: I Regret 23 of 30

i regret

not making exercise
healthier foods
part of my routine

worrying about a clean house
when my grandparents
called to visit

never slowing down
enough to enjoy moments
that slipped through my fingertips

not sitting down to listen
every time my children
told me a story

not organizing the pictures
that captured the moments
we shared

letting the busyness of life
keep me from staying connected
with my very best friends

putting "to do"
before to enjoy
to help, to love

not taking chances
because i thought
i just couldn't

i regret everything

© Cathy L. Mere, 2015

I really don't regret everything, but yet there are always those things that nag us a bit.  On quiet, contemplative days, regret is an easy thing to think about.  Life moves quickly.  It's hard to keep up with it's pace and demand.  I'm always envious of those who seem to sail their ships through calm waters with the sun shining day after day.  The other day, I stumbled upon this article interview with Toni Morrison, 'I Regret Everything': Toni Morrison Looks Back on Her Personal Life.  I was intrigued so I clicked to read.  I think we all sometimes can get caught up in regret.  In the interview Morrison said, writing provides "big protection" from her thoughts.  "I regret everything" seemed like it had poem potential.


It's April and National Poetry Month.  I'm writing a poem every day to help celebrate!  Thanks to Margaret SimonLeigh Anne EckMichelle HaseltineLinda BaieJulieanne Harmatz, and Kevin Hodgson for giving the final push.  We are linking using the hashtag #digipoetry.  I have to also thank my everyday poetry mentors Mary Lee Hahn & Amy Ludwig Vanderwater.  They continually inspire me.  You'll find more poetry on the sidebar. 


Comments

  1. We all have regrets, but it is part of our journey... We can't change what happened in the past, but we can learn from it!!!! I think it is just the way life is... Thinking about it, can overwhelm you at times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I regret never having enough time to visit all the blogs I want. So glad for Saturday mornings!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer