18 of 30: Determined

Susan Goldsmith Wooldridge, in PoemCrazy, considers, "If I don't flip that poem onto the page the moment it wants to come out, it can drift away like a dream or go lifeless."  I wonder how many poems slip away in the busy day? This one came to me this evening, and though I had a different plan for tonight's writing, I had to get it down.  

Sometimes 
climbing up is hardest.  
Putting one foot 
in front of the other.
Making sure we are firmly 
planted
on solid ground
before continuing.

Sometimes 
it takes all of our strength to 
keep pushing,
climbing,
forcing 
our way through the hard parts,
stepping over obstacles,
going around that which
we cannot get over.

Sometimes
we want to turn around,
go back,
give up.

Sometimes 
it takes facing the obstacles,
believing we can,
knowing we must,
to get there, 
all the way to the top
where the view is perfect.  
Where we can say,
"I made it."

© Cathy L. Mere, 2012

Comments

  1. This is beautiful...sometimes...I like this at the beginning of each stanza. We all have those times, those days, that we just need to keep going no matter what. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that final message, the view at the top is perfect. Nice to put this all down for all to see. Thanks, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! Beautifully done! Also very true...
    Thanks for getting it down and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great middle-of-the-month keep-on-writing poem! (along with being a good general message of perserverance)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer