You Can't Lose: Slice of Life 14 of 31


Slice of Life Challenge 

Thanks Stacey and Ruth:  Two Writing Teachers
#slice2013  15 of 31


It seems games have changed since I was a child.  When I was a kid there was always a loser.  You didn't want to be the one tagged.  You didn't want to be the last one with a card.  You didn't want to be the one who had the least amount of points in a game.  Apparently things have changed.  Sunday my five year old niece came to spend some time with me.  We went for a walk, played a few games, and had a few laughs.

When she taught me how to play Mr. Wolf, I learned that you ask Mr. Wolf what time is dinner.  He tells you and you take that many steps toward him.  Then, at some point, he yells, "Dinner time." Players then have to run and try to not get tagged.  E and I were playing and chasing and having fun when I joked, "I hope I don't get tagged."

E paused, turned to look at me, and said, "Aunt Cathy, it's fun to get tagged."

"Hmmm," I thought to myself, "that's a new twist."

That little sweet girl has more energy than I do.  Finally I convinced her we should go inside to play games for a bit.  "Let's play Old Maid," she suggests.  Years of playing Old Maid with my grandparents makes this a game I always love.  I have all kinds of tricks for passing the old lady to an unsuspecting player.  I know a hundred faces to fool my opponent.

I grab the cards and begin to deal.  "Aunt Cathy," E declares, "let's play so the person who gets the Old Maid is the winner."

It was all I could do not to bust out laughing.  My little niece has this figured out apparently.  If she loses she doesn't really lose, if she wins she doesn't really lose.  (Yeah, ponder that for awhile.)

It seems games have changed a little bit since I was a kid, at least when E is around.  It doesn't matter if you get tagged.  It doesn't matter if you are the last one with a card or hold the Old Maid.  It doesn't matter if you have the least amount of points.  The fun is in playing the game whether you win or lose.  Maybe E is onto something.

Comments

  1. Yes, E probably stands alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way E thinks...a natural positive thinker! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you two were both winners this day! I agree with everyone else, I love E's attitude. That kid will never have a half empty glass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! I think that E is definitely on to something. I love her perspective and yours as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. E also loves her Aunt Cathy so playing games with her is like already winning, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer