Today was one of those crazy days at school. You know the kind; the ones where you laugh to yourself about being held accountable for learning when so many other things go on in a day. Today we had a fire drill, a lockdown drill, and a musical assembly. Now that does seem like a lot of interruption, but on the bright side it is all in one day.....and, of course, the musical was terrific. Our fifth graders are so talented.
For me, days with our schedule out of whack are hard. Our routine has a lot to do with the climate in our classroom, the work that will get accomplished, and the general management. Thankfully, this year my group of students is very flexible. They handle change of routine very well, and despite the interruptions we got quite a bit of learning accomplished. Yes, my class rocks!
On days like these I sometimes pause to think of the little things that made me smile during the day. Here they are in no particular order:
10. My iPod (Today it was music by Fun!)
9. My teammates!!!
8. Lunch in the lounge.
7. Heated car seats. (When you live in Ohio, you start to really like heated car seats.)
6. Biscotti. (There just happened to be one piece left. My lucky streak continues!)
5. Talking with my mom.
4. Finding time to write.
3. Someone else did the dinner dishes.
2. Reese's Peanut Butter Cups!! (Thankfully my husband bought me a 2 pound bag for Valentines Day. I know, you're surprised I haven't eaten the entire bag already.)
1. Coffee. (and lots of it!)
What gets you through the crazy days?