National Poetry Month (2024): A Variation on Theme (3 of 30)

Thanks for stopping by Merely Day by Day. It's National Poetry Month.

 
For April I will be taking a deep dive into The Practicing Poet: Writing Beyond the Basicsedited by Diane Lockward. This book is full of 30 craft tips so it is the perfect way to shape this month's challenge and dig a little deeper into the craft of poetry. Stop by my Substack page, Merely in Progress, each day to follow this month's writing journey. There you will also find reflections, links, and inspiration across the challenge. 

Of course, this month is really about writing poetry so I will have a new poem posted here each day utilizing a craft tip from the book. I'm sure the ride will be bumpy, but there will be a lot learned along the way. 


I'm continually inspired by poets who can let the poem lead; by those who can stack their truths in lines and stanzas. Today I wanted to try the prompt suggested in The Practicing Poet: a theme variation poem. This proved to be a bit more difficult than I thought it would be when I set out to give it a try. I thought I'd use Credo (4th poem on page) by Donna Hilbert. Hilbert shares what she believes with lighthearted playfulness. I love the way she makes us fall in love with her beliefs by using specificity. 

She begins:
I believe in the Tuesdays
and Wednesdays of life,
the tuna sandwich lunches
and TV after dinner. 

With the news of the deaths of those working with World Central Kitchen to bring food to a warzone, it's hard to wrap my head around the ways of the world. I found myself nostalgic for days when the world seemed small and there seemed to be so much to believe in. 


Credo

variation on a theme from Donna Hilbert 
(with apology for making a light theme heavy)

I used to believe in
sunrises, in the possibility of
new days and second
chances. My world was 
small then: televisions with
three channels, phones
hung on walls, every
business run by someone
in the neighborhood. News was
limited to facts, shared only
once a day. My biggest task:
getting ready for school. Deciding
what to pack for lunch. All
disputes solvable. That was 
before I realized every
day there was war. Before
images of dying kept me
up at night. Before I carried
the weight of those crying out
in my heart unprotected. Now 
I look to the heavens wondering
what there is to believe in. 

Cathy Mere, 2024 (a variation of
Donna Hilbert's poem, Credo)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer