National Poetry Month 6 of 30: Whatchamacallit Box

The Whatchamacallit Box

The whatchamacallit box
hangs on our mantle high,
with different color knobs
and doors that you can try.

Opening up and down,
opening side by side,
with so many tiny compartments
there's lots that you can hide.

Open the door slowly,
peek carefully inside.
Which door to open first
is something to decide.

What is the box of wood
that hangs above the stove?
A peek inside uncovers
a secret treasure trove.

© Cathy L. Mere 2014


April is National Poetry Month.  Again this year, inspired by Mary Lee Hahn, I'm joining other poetry bloggers (view links in sidebar) taking the challenge to share poetry each day during the month of April.  For thirty days my hope is to write a new poem each day.  The first two years I took this challenge I wrote any poem that found me.  This year, however, I've decided to try to write a poem about an object each day.  If you've read Billy Collins' poem, The Lanyard, you may have noticed the way he took an object to tell a much more meaningful story of his relationship with his mother.  My hope is to find the deeper significance in the things around me.  

Today's poem was inspired by a box my grandfather made years ago for my parents.  We had recently moved into our new house with its unusual shape.  I'm sure this inspired my grandfather's craftsmanship.  He came in one day carrying his new piece of "art" and screwed it into the mantle.  

Take a moment to check out the links in the sidebar for other great poetry stops.  


Comments

  1. This is so much fun and so mysterious! I love to hear you read it and am truly intrigued by the box and your unusually shaped house. What a story...And yes, this poem must be tucked into a treasure drawer for future generations to enjoy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I still remember the day he came in and put that up!! Listening to your voice, makes the poem even more meaningful. Your grandpa was quite a fellow. His love is in every part of that "Whatchamacallit Box ". I love the name you have given it!!! Many times I heard my dad use that word "whatchamacallit" when he couldn't remember a word. Thanks for bringing back all the wonderful memories of my dad.. Once again, your writing has brought me to tears..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The word along with the box calls up great memories for you I think. What a wonderful thing to have, and to treasure, Cathy. And, amazing, but I can hear you on this. Wish we knew why!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's so much I love about this poem! It's one I've read a few times!! This box...filled with mystery and wonder...I want to know more. Thanks for a great poem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun box! What a fun poem! Love the rhymes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer