SOLS #27: The Country Music Highway


Today I traveled the Country Music Highway as I headed south for spring break.  For me, the Country Music Highway provides a little entertainment.  Though I'm usually a Top 40 gal, I crank the country music all the way down the Country Music Highway.  Singing at the top of my lungs passes the time as I try to match the music on my iPod to the singer at that part of the highway.

So, I thought I'd use the "spine poetry" idea for country music (hopefully you've seen the poems written by arranging the titles on book spines to make a poem).

I decided to take the titles and turn them into a traveling poem.  Let's just say the first country music poem I wrote wasn't appropriate for the internet.  ;o)  Here it is.  I wanted to put the name of the singer/group beside the title to give them credit.

Travelin' the Country Music Highway
Little Goodbyes (SHeDAISY)
Ready to Run (Dixie Chicks)
Nothin' But the Taillights (Clint Black)
Halfway Down (Patty Loveless)


The City Put the Country Back in Me (Neal McCoy)
You're Looking At Country (Loretta Lynn)
Wide Open Spaces (Dixie Chicks)
Not a Moment Too Soon (Tim McGraw)


Days Go By (Keith Urban)
Long Time Gone (Dixie Chicks)
I've Been Everywhere (Johnny Cash)
Back Where I Come From (Kenny Chesney)


           Honey, I'm Home (Shania Twain)



Comments

  1. Wow! This is so creative, Cathy. I love it, and surprisingly - despite the fact that I don't listen to a lot of country music - I recognize a lot of those titles. Country music has really changed since I was a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this (and these songs..Dixie Chicks and SHeDaisy make me so happy), have a great break Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too clever! The third stanza is too true. Now I'll be looking at my CDs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a creative idea, and you had the song titles to make it work! I love that last actually, "Honey, I'm Home". I assume you've traveling to your home or to your parents' home for the break. Your poem reflects the nostalgia of country music well, so I guess it's in the titles too, isn't it? I never thought of it before, but the titles tell a lot in that genre. Thanks Cathy-so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fun idea! I keep meaning to create a book spine poem at work... I need to get on that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The visual of you and your starbucks,driving down the road, singing at the top of your lungs made me day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer