Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday! 29/365

There are pluses and minuses to having a birthday so close to Christmas. As a kid, I knew I could wish for things I didn't get at Christmas for my birthday. Of course, who really wants to celebrate a birthday so close to Christmas?

This year I saved my money from Christmas and my birthday to buy something interesting. I weighed new blinds for living room, a baker's rack for the microwave, new towels, and maybe a wardrobe update. However, I kept coming back to this idea of a reader.

I've become quite a tech geek. I'm pretty sure everyone is quite tired of my device mania. I enjoy learning how to use new technology and am finding it makes my life simpler and more enjoyable in so many ways.

But a reader? First, let me be honest, I'm not the reader I need to be. I've always worked to keep reading. I must confess that I read mostly for the conversation of reading. I enjoy being able to talk about the books friends have read more than the actual reading.

Unfortunately, with all of this new technology I read books even less often. Most of my reading time is spent reading blogs, finding articles online, and following Twitter. I read much more than ever, but not deep reading.

The reader seemed like the perfect way to get me motivated to leave my computer a bit more. When I found out our library was carrying ePub books I was even more interested. So I researched and finally decided to take the plunge. After researching I decided on the Nook Color. I liked the color screen, the ability to easily read magazines and newspapers, the ease of obtaining books from other sites, the light which allows me to read at night, and the fact it came recommended by friends and family.

I'm loving the reader so far. For me, it's more comfortable than a book. I'm finding I like not being able to see where a chapter ends or how near the end of the book I am. I'm racing less through text and enjoying the stories more. Unfortunately for me, the Nook has a full web browser so I have to fight the urge to leave my reading and move to Twitter.

Comments

  1. Congratulations! I'm not there yet, not because I don't want to be. I would love to join the eReader craze. I just find that I don't have the time to read with all the other "hobbies" I have.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer