National Poetry Month: Shout Out (Inspired by Clint Smith) 15 of 30

I just finished Counting Descent by Clint Smith. My daughter gave it to me upon my retirement. It is truly one of the best poetry books I have read in awhile (and I've read a lot of good poetry books). I'm still not quite over it. One of the poems I enjoyed was "Shout Out". In this poem, Smith takes aim at the cause and effect of little things in life. Here are two stanzas from Smith's poem on page 64. 

"Shout out to the light of the city
        for deafening the stars

 

 Shout out to the splintering floorboard 
        for announcing my entrance to every room"

                                                       
Today, I thought I might give a few joyous shout-outs borrowing Smith's format.  Trust me, Smith's poem is a million times better. You should go find it!


Shout for Joy
Shout out to the friend
    willing to join me for a walk

Shout out to the Keurig
    brewing cup after cup

Shout out to the afternoon
    for time to nap

Shout out to mattress heaters
    who can make a cold snap bearable

Shout out that the best chocolate ice-cream
    is only a short drive away

Shout out to the book
    that was good to the end

Shout out to the poets
    who inspire us relentlessly

Shout out to this challenge
    for getting me to write every day

Shout out to a day 
    filled with joyous moments

(Thanks, Clint Smith, for a little fun inspiration.) 


It's National Poetry Month. This year, I selected "CHOOSE JOY" as my One Little Word Phrase. Since I'm on the lookout for JOY, it makes sense to share a poem each day this month about what I find. 


Comments

  1. I'm looking forward to reading Clint Smith's book this summer with the Book Love Summer Reading Club. I love this format; I think this would be fun to try with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life certainly has a lot of "shout outs"... I am going to have to find Clint Smith's book ..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer