Color My World: National Poetry Month 18 of 30

via wikimedia commons Jimmy Joe
Color My World

I have a pack of crayons,
a pack of just twenty four.
They've always been all I needed.
There wasn't a need for more.

I could color a yellow orange sun,
a tree of deepest green,
or maybe a small blue pond,
my pictures a colorful scene.

One day I discovered a big pack,
with colors so vivid and bright.
I knew I just had to have it,
to color a world just right.

Imagine what I could color,
with crayons like Caribbean green,
or purple mountain's majesty,
unmellow yellow could brighten the scene.

Of course a giant box of 120,
will give me color galore.
There's fuzzy wuzzy brown,
macaroni and cheese, and more.

Crayola® has all the colors
to make my picture sing,
as color jumps from the page
the joy crayons can bring.

©  Cathy L. Mere





It's Poetry Friday!  Today's round up is being hosted by Robyn Hood Black at Life on the Deckle Edge.  Stop by more great poetry links!

I'm writing poetry for 30 days.  For the first seven days of the challenge I wrote about "objects of memory," and then I wrote about "objects I just can't live without."  For the next seven days I will be writing about objects that can be found at school.  This will help me to prepare for a little poetry writing with students.  Our class will be taking poetry around the building in the days to come.  


April is National Poetry Month.  Again this year, inspired by Mary Lee Hahn, I'm joining other poetry bloggers (view links in sidebar) taking the challenge to share poetry each day during the month of April.  For thirty days my hope is to write a new poem each day.  The first two years I took this challenge I wrote any poem that found me.  This year, however, I've decided to try to write a poem about an object each day.  If you've read Billy Collins' poem, The Lanyard, you may have noticed the way he took an object to tell a much more meaningful story of his relationship with his mother.  My hope is to find the deeper significance in the things around me.  




Comments

  1. Wonderful project you're working on here, Cathy. Your poem took me back to the delight of 120 colors and those wonderful names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel so deprived... When I was in school it was a big deal when you had a box of 16 colors.. Love the way you described the crayons!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooohhh - I've always loved the endless possibilities in a new box of crayons! And their names. :0) Happy Poetry Month, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazingly, your poem made me smell that brand new box I always had at the beginning of the school year-special! I love the rhythm in your poem, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Linda -- I can SMELL the crayons in this poem...and the longing for the BIG box!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still swoon over a box of new crayons! Burnt sienna, cornflower blue, and orange/red and red/orange. You so capture the joy here! I may need some...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer