Today's inspiration: surfing poets and poetry on the web
The Rabbit Hole of Poetry
This morning as the rain
pitter-pattered on the window
I fell into the rabbit hole of poetry.
Words danced across pages,
tap-tapping in my ear.
It wasn't long until
I found myself learning of poets:
those I've loved always,
those new to me,
those shaping the poetry world for all.
As the rain danced on the patio
in a gentle waltz,
each line of poetry glided
in perfectly arranged stanzas
causing me to pause in admiration.
Puddles formed as each drop fell
creating circular rhythmic ripples.
I read on as poets carefully
placed each word on the page,
their cadence one of comfort.
The sky quieted to gray
as to draw our eye to the rain.
Each poem's placement on the page
framing the weight of words
the poet thoughtfully penned.
The rain continued for hours
and I was lost without a care,
taking in every adventure,
wrestling with every sadness,
in a world created by poets.
© Cathy L. Mere, 2019
My Favorite Stops Along the Way
- Tracy K. Smith Named New Poet Laureate: PBS Interview
- Tracy K. Smith Podcast: The Slowdown (love the way these podcasts feature poetry, but also take make back to memories long forgotten)
- National Poetry Foundation: Spring Poems (because why not??)
- Young People's Poet Laureate: Margarita Engle
- Power of Poetry: Dale Biron (Ted Talk)
- The Poem Farm because I had to know what was happening with John & Betsy. If you haven't been following the daily "poem-story" updates, you are missing out. Be careful, you'll have a lot to catch up on --- start on April 1st. Of course, there are a million other poems and peeks into process. You could spend the day here!
- Jama's Alphabet Soup: 2019 National Poetry Month Kidlitosphere Events Roundup (so many great stops here!)
Gotta go....I'm going to continue the adventure. I hope you'll share your favorite poetry stops. They'll be perfect for the next rainy day.