Poetry Month: A Wish Lost 5 of 30

It's here!  It's National Poetry Month!  I'll hoping to write a poem every day this month.  I've decided to keep it simple this year.  I'm going to write about whatever strikes me each day.  I suppose it will be like a rollercoaster ride of poetry.  You'll never be quite sure what you're in for from day to day.


It's also Poetry Friday.  Today Karen Edminsten is hosting the roundup.  Stop by for today's dose of poetry! 

Today's inspiration: the night sky



A Wish Lost

The black night
has a lure of its own.
In this deepest dark
the stars call to us;
the sky given
its moment to feel
more important
than the earth below.

In this dark of night,
it's impossible
not to look up,
not be drawn into
the shimmer of stars.

My eyes,
captivated by the glistening
pins of light,
note movement.
A star shoots
across the night sky.
"What's your wish?"
it asks as it slowly
draws a line
on the ebony canvas.

My wish?
How could I not
have a wish?
How could I not
have one ready?

The shooting star
patiently waits,
glimmering as it glides
it in its final dance.
I watch,
mesmerized.

Though I watch,
I cannot find a wish.
Not one for myself.
Not one for someone else.
Not even one for the world.
I hope someone,
somewhere,
captured that star,
finding their wish.

© Cathy L. Mere, 2019

Comments

  1. If you don't have a wish, you're clearly contented! That's such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always fail to make a wish on a shooting star ... it happens too quickly and I too am "mesmerized." I'll have to wish on dandelions, turkey wishbones, and birthday candles. Happy NPM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your poem is lovely. My favorite line:
    the sky given
    its moment to feel
    more important
    than the earth below

    If I had a wish it would be that every person and each thing realized how very important they are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! We're both doing an UnProject! My take on this is not that you're all contented, but that, pressured, we panic, and wish that sausage were on someone's nose! Take your time, find your wish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. A sad moment when you realize you lost some opportunity you really wanted, but I love the idea of accepting our loss as someone's gain. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice to visit here, Cathy—it's been a long time! For me, your poem speaks volumes. Sometimes it's enough to just acknowledge the moment, no? Wishes shouldn't be one-off opportunities.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer