Day 29 SOL 16: Happy Birthday, Mom

"I keep going back to your blog, but I haven't seen any new posts in awhile," my mom comments nonchalantly one evening as we chat on the phone.

I chuckle.  Saying you haven't seen any posts in "awhile" was a huge understatement.  I knew it had been weeks since my last post.  Actually, it was quite likely, the time could be measured in months.  "You know how I am.  When life gets busy, the blog seems to be the first thing to go," I reply.

I had to smile.  My mom is probably the only person in the world that has noticed I haven't posted from my blog in awhile.  My mom constantly stops by to check out what I have been writing, and always leaves a comment.

It makes me smile.  It's one thing to be in first grade and have your work hung on the refrigerator, but it's quite another to be as old as I am and still have a mom who is rooting for your every move.

In life moms come in many packages, but I lucked out for sure.  When life gets challenging, I call Mom.  When there's exciting news, I call Mom.  Need advice about the kids?  Call Mom.  Trying to figure out how to substitute ingredients?  Call Mom.  Hoping someone will just listen?  Call Mom.  My mom has always had the keen ability to listen and say just the right thing.

Today my mom celebrates her birthday, but I am surely the one who should be celebrating.  I count my blessings every day.

Happy birthday, Mom.





For the month of March I will be participating in the March Slice of Life Challenge hosted at Two Writing Teachers.  It will be a busy month of writing, commenting, and learning with this community.  Stop by today's link up to join the conversation or find some great reading.


Comments

  1. Cathy, I also noticed that you have not been posting. Congratulations to your Mom. Celebrate the good times. Moms are great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your mom, Cathy. I miss my mom a lot, but now it's my daughter and I who talk often and check on each other. I love your sweetest post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lucky you are to have such a supportive mom! I doubt my mom even knows what a blog is, let alone knowing that I have one! You are so fortunate to have such a great relationship with her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful -- Happy Birthday Mom. Cherish every phone call, comment, and gathering.
    (and I do notice when you are not blogging!!!)
    Clare

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I love you to the moon and back!!! I am so blessed to have such a talented and beautiful daughter!! You continue to make me smile!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that your mom reads your blog. (My dad reads mine. It's kinda cute and kinda annoying since he'll sometimes question lots of things I write.)

    Happy birthday to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post Cat and so true! She is a wonderful Mother-in-Law too - always commenting on my crazy sporadic posts. She is a wonderful woman who blesses all those she meets and knows. A true gift to her family and friends!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer