National Poetry Month: The Road to Poetry 1 of 30

 

It's National Poetry Month. I will be posting a poem each day. No theme. I'm just going to follow the spark each day, wherever I might find it. It's bound to be messy. 



The Road to Poetry

I've forgotten how to get to poetry.

I tried to sit in a room in silence;
it wasn't there.
I listened to the trees whisper,
but their messages were coded. 

I pulled out a map -
though I looked near mountains, lakes, 
and roads less traveled -
routes did not lead me there.

I called the experts,
"How do you get to poetry?" 
I inquired with curiosity.
The poets only laughed.

The way to poetry,
once deep in my bones,
eludes me;
weeds covering the way. 

There is nothing left to do,
but pick up my favorite pen,
grab my notebook,
and begin again. 

© Cathy L. Mere, 2023


Comments

  1. Yes, so right. Nothing to do but begin again. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know that I've had trouble commenting. I'm not sure what happens or what I do differently, but wondered if others have had the same problem. I'm glad you chose to "begin again." I like hearing your voice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer