Slice of Life: Not Forgotten 14 of 31

For the month of March, I'll be writing with the Slice of Life community. Disclaimer: I'll be writing every day so the writing will be a bit unpolished most days. Thanks to Two Writing Teachers for bringing this community together and for inspiring me to try to find the stories that surround me each day.

Monday I wrote this as a narrative, it felt like it should be a poem so I tried that today.  I still don't have it where I want it, but it's always fun to write about the same thing in a new way.  

For years
I've looked for it
in jewelry boxes,
drawers,
compartments,
long forgotten.

For years
I've tried to remember
the last place
I saw the pin
with its golden bow
shining.

For years
I've thought about
the mustard seed,
safely enclosed
in glass,
hanging.

For years
I've remembered
my grandma's words
of faith,
strength,
and promise.

For years
I've tried to find
the mustard seed pin,
but it's not the pin
I really miss,
it's time with grandma.

© Cathy L. Mere, 2018


Comments

  1. Interesting that the pin has come up in two different slices. Today, though, I think you wrote into why finding it really matters to you. That last line- wow, wow, wow! This is a gorgeous piece of writing. (And it made me think about my grandma, who was also a really significant part of my life).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gram had that pin too. Now I’m wondering where that wentbb

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a legacy your grandmother left you with her words of faith, strength, and promise! So glad you wrote about this search. Love your repeating words - "For years." Always glad to read your poems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last line really resonated- so often it is not the "things" we really need to have to remember, but at times the physical things help connect us to the memories. Nice poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed your narrative about this, but this poem is so lovely. I love all the "missing" contained within this beautiful piece.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a heartfelt poem. Most of us have someone we miss like this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy, I love this post. I am glad you tried to put it in the form of a poem. It makes me think of the little treasures I have from my mother, father and grandparents. But you are so right. It's not the treasures but the people we miss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful - the words, the sentiment. I was so close to my grandmother, too. Miss her every day. Perhaps that pin will turn up yet ... I'll be hoping that it does.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Grandmas...they are such an important part of our lives. Your poem is beautiful and captures how special your grandma was to you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh... you sent me back to read the narrative. I went narrative, poem, narrative, poem. I love them both but the poem left me with a feeling the really resonated with me. It is not the stuff it is the memory behind the stuff. Every time I use my mother's things she is right there with me. That last stanza says it all. Thank you.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer