Slice of Life: Chasing Poetry 30 of 31

For the month of March, I'll be writing with the Slice of Life community. Disclaimer: I'll be writing every day so the writing will be a bit unpolished most days. Thanks to Two Writing Teachers for bringing this community together and for inspiring me to try to find the stories that surround me each day.

Today I continue to gear up for 30 days of poetry in April...and it's getting hard to contain my excitement.  Today I gathered my favorite poetry books for young writers and began planning the month ahead.  Today I'm getting ready for the chasing of poetry by cross-posting with the Poetry Friday Community. Heidi Mordhorst is hoping today's link up at my juicy little universe.  Click on over and chase a little poetry.  



Chasing Poetry

Chasing poetry
always proves unsuccessful.

I've tried
racing after it
day after day,
in darkness and dawn,
in the cold of winter
and the promise of spring.

I've searched
all the places it might be:
near lakes and on mountaintops,
under rocks and in trees,
in the blue of the ocean
and the star-kissed sky.

Chasing poetry
always proves unsuccessful.
Poetry comes
in the stillness.

It arrives
in the silence of the night
as the stars grow bright
in the blackening sky,
the winds whispering
through the trees.

It arrives
in the moment
an unexpected surprise
gently taps your heart,
trying to grab
your attention.

Chasing poetry
always proves unsuccessful.
You must wait
quietly.
for it
to find you.

© Cathy L. Mere, 2018


Comments

  1. I think you found it! Beautiful poem -- "gently taps your heart" and "you must wait for it to find you." Best of luck as you continue your adventure in writing poetry in April! I commend you ... I'm ready for a writing break.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poetry comes in the stillness- love this line! Beautiful poem

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! So beautiful, and so true. I love the ending lines the best. :-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that poetry found you, Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this! It is a beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cathy- This is absolutely beautiful. And really does perfectly describe trying to write poetry. The repetition of those lines, "Chasing poetry/always proves unsuccessful." Wow, wow, wow!

    That said, I think I'm going to try chasing poetry during April. I loved when Mary Lee chose the topic and we all wrote along. Last year, her topic was more private, so I just didn't write, and I felt sad all month. I've decided I'm going to try to write this month, but I'm not sure how it's going to turn out. Are you writing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea and all the places you've tried to capture poetry...but for me it works more like this:
    you put on your moccasins and sneak
    you stand on your soapbox and speak
    you close eyes and turn the other cheek
    you open your eyes and let the tears leak
    and you do it all with open hand
    ready to grasp, gentle, meek
    when the poem draws near, peeks
    at you of its own accord.

    Thanks for letting me go off on this idea! I hope lots of poems find you this month!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the idea of chasing poetry and then finding it comes in the stillness.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer