#SOL17 Day 1: Just Write

"Everyone lies about writing.  They lie about how easy it is or how hard it is.  The truth is, writing is this; hard and boring and occasionally great but usually not."  
                                                                                         -Amy Poehler, Yes Please 

"I can't do this," I confided.  "I like to finish everything I start, but I'm not sure I can write every single day.  Once I start something I really want to finish it, but I have a hard time putting writing out there that I don't like.  I don't expect to love it all, but I would like to at least like it."

My friend, Deb, returned, "It's not a story; it's a slice." 

"Write."

"Just write."

"That's it; just write," Deb countered after advising I get my big girl panties on and get busy.  

You see, after five years of participating in the March Slice of Life Challenge, I've learned that this challenge helps me to get back into the habit of writing.  I've learned that you find a lot more to write about when you intentionally look AND make yourself put your fingers to the keyboard each day.  I've learned there is something about a community that pushes you forward during the tough parts.  I've learned these great lessons, but I also know how truly hard it can be.  I know the time it takes to not only do your own writing but to also visit the blogs of other writers (and visiting other blogs is the best part).  

As I enter year six, I fully understand the challenge that is ahead.  I want to say no, but I know that I have to do this.  So, here we go.  Please know that if you follow the journey there may be a few nearly polished pieces but, for the most part, you will find some raw writing.  Time will tell where the journey will lead.  

Thanks to everyone at Two Writing Teachers for pushing me to dig a little deeper and find the stories that slip through my fingers each and every day.  

For the sixth year, I will be joining the Slice of Life Challenge with the community of Two Writing Teachers.  I will be trying to put my fingers to the keyboard every day for the 31 days of March.  Stop by today's link up at Two Writing Teachers to read other posts.  



Comments

  1. Me too. In my head, I'm a writer. But often, those thoughts never get to my blog. Thanks for the confirming thoughts this evening. It is a challenge indeed, but I always love it when it's over! The intentional work behind writing and connecting is what I love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so true. The first year I joined to improve my writing habit, but I learned that year about the power of this community. Like you, it is the connecting I love.

      Delete
  2. I think not writing in March would be like NOT going to a month long conference and watching everyone tweet about it! Glad you said yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great analogy. I'm not sure it would be March without diving into this challenge --- and eating Girl Scout cookies. Priorities.

      Delete
  3. Year six will be the best one yet! We all need a little polished off set by raw. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to seeing all of that raw writing this month! It is always a challenge but a REALLY rewarding one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of those reasons are why I keep coming back, too, Cathy. And, this community! The energy lifts me like no other. I'm looking forward to reading your "slices" of life. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to see you here (although I knew I would)! Here we go...another year under our belts. Thanks for cheering me on. I am looking forward to reading your stories this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many 'veterans' have written that they have been reluctant to start this again this time. I'm wondering why? And I do wonder, although everyone is different, if it has to do with the strange chaos in our news this year, and last actually too. Personally things can change, but surely not in each of those I've read. Anyway, glad you're back, and everyone knows our slices aren't perfect, but they are always interesting, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. YOU MADE IT! I knew you would! So looking forward to more Cathy Mere raw and unpolished! Let's write my post next time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Cathy, this challenge wouldn't be quite the same without some inspirational poetry with visual photos and wise words from you! I'm happy to see you here. I completely agree -- this community is quite amazing and supportive and encouraging. I also love that when something I write that I don't love as much, but post it anyway (because time is up!), there are still people who visit my blog and leave me some amazing comment about something they saw or felt or connected with ... even though I thought my writing was meh. Raw, rough drafts, short and sweet. That's a slice. I like Deb's advice: Just write. So, keep your chin up, eyes open, fingers moving and let's do this!
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cathy - absolutely love that quote from Amy Poehler! So true!
    Writing from me will be messy from time to time as well; maybe even more than that...
    But I am so glad to be writing - I feel refreshed and I feel like I'm looking at things around me with a different lens. I'm so glad you are joining the community again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you quoted the Amy Poehler book! I am so glad you're here! YAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bravo you! I am not slicing this year, but am keeping up with 9 students who are, so in a way...I am. Can't wait to be able to stop by here from time to time to see into your world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this slice. Understand not wanting to do it. Your sharing will help others.

    You have many cheering you on with all these comments!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer