Who Would Have Known?

It's Tuesday so stop by Two Writing Teachers to join tonight's link-up and conversation.  There's something about moving from blog to blog to savor the little stories that make us smile.  Thanks to Julie Johnson for helping me get my fingers on the keyboard tonight with her post, Nourishing the Teacher Writer.  

Growing up, I was not a sports fan.  Hardly able to dribble a ball and chew gum at the same time, I just never took to sports.  My physical education teachers were patient with my challenges.  I worked hard. I tried.  I listened.  Somehow it just never seemed to work.  My friends were all big athletes so I spent my time keeping statistics for teams so I could hang out with them.  Living in a small football town you can imagine the complications of growing up uninterested in sports.

The challenges didn't end on the field.  I had to learn to handle sports fans in my everyday world as well.  One of my best friends was a sports fanatic both on and off the court.  It seemed at her house there was always a game of one kind or another on the television with family members cheering for their favorite teams.  My grandma listened to baseball religiously.  I'd laugh at her kitchen coaching, but still I just wasn't a fan.

Last fall my son talked me into joining a family fantasy football league.  I laughed at the idea, but I joined in hopes of learning a bit about the sport along the way.  In order to avoid being the laughing stock of the family, I raced out and purchased a fantasy football magazine (those things are ridiculous in price!) and started searching the internet for draft tips.  I thought I had a strategy, but when selections begin to fly all of that goes out the window.

Despite my best efforts, I ended last football season at the bottom of our league.  I blame Ray Rice.  This year, I'm a bit more fantasy savvy.  Case in point, I didn't make the mistake of drafting Ray Rice again.  Experience is a good teacher.  I've had a fantasy basketball and baseball team.  I've managed dig a few fantasy scoops off of Twitter.  Each season I learn a little more about the sport and the fantasy game.

I'm sure my friends wonder about me as I sit watching games, post sports updates, and cheer over favorite players.  Who knew one day I'd stay up late on Monday night to watch my favorite quarterback?  Who knew I'd be cheering from my sofa seat as he completed a 60 years pass to one of his receivers?  Who knew I'd jump up and down as he scored HIS OWN touchdown?  Yep, Matthew Stafford is going to lead my team to victory this year.  I hope the family is ready.

Comments

  1. We never know where we will go! Your tenacity and open-mind brought you there! Welcome to the fray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't understand fantasy football at all. But I would kind of like to…Hmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun to hear, Cathy. I love to watch 'my' teams, but have never done any of the fantasy games. How great that you've embraced it & play with the family. Hope it works for you this year. How about if I just cheer for you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the the of your grandmother's kitchen coaching and the "I blame Ray Rice." What a wonderful thing to do with a son who asks you to do it. Good luck to your team this season. I don't know much about fantasy football, but do you get to name your own teams too?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love fantasy football!! It's crazy how much time I spend researching my players/teams! I am the only girl in two leagues .. and I have been the Champion several times -- very satisfying!! Good luck to you! And I love that your grandma was a kitchen coach (great term).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know anything about fantasy football but your enthusiasm for it made me smile. Good luck for this season!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is why I refuse to participate in Fantasy Football....I know I would become an addict. I will just continue to enjoy your posts on Facebook with comments from other family members about how you are all doing. Good luck though...I am rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...and I forgot to mention.....weren't you a member of the high school track team? :-) Long distance was your talent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. When you do something, Cathy, you always do it well. Fantasy sports are no exception! :) Your fantasy sports escapades always make me smile. Thanks for the great conversation yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The social power that pushes our learning in directions we never would have chosen. Priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you are having a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too funny your twist and turns to become a sports fan. However, I don't see you becoming anymore athletic yourself in this new journey. Is there fantasy workout sessions? LOL. I really enjoyed seeing the picture of your son. Adorable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Friday is Here: Candy Hearts

Slice of Life: Savor Summer